Can a Social Security Representative Payee open an account for a beneficiary?

Yes. To have a Representative Payee open an account for you, they must meet the requirements of an Authorized Legal Representative (anyone who is selected by the eligible beneficiary with legal capacity, anyone who has Power of Attorney, a conservator or legal guardian, or a spouse, parent, sibling, or grandparent). Because the role of Representative Payee is specific and unique to Social Security benefits, it doesn't apply to ABLE plans without a valid Power of Attorney. A Representative Payee will also need to provide proof of their relationship to the Beneficiary (e.g. a letter from the Social Security Administration referencing both parties).